The Digitarium® Zeta Portable model is a digital planetarium system designed for use in portable domes. Set up the system in a gym with an inflatable dome for an instant planetarium. Portability and ease of set up and use allow you to share one system and its cost with other area groups.
This model is designed for those who want a mid-range resolution portable system with mid-range brightness.
Choose from a lighter and lower cost Basic option, or a more powerful and upgradeable Standardcomputer/software combination. See specifications below for details.
- Demonstrate beginning through advanced astronomy concepts.
- Simulate the sky from any point on Earth or from other planets and moons.
- Move forward or backward in time at varying speeds.
- Simulate the solar system over a two million year time range.
- Show the effects of precession of the equinoxes and star proper motion over time.
- Show annual motion, including retrograde planetary motion.
- Simulate celestial phenomena such as transits, eclipses, and meteor showers.
- Display orbits of the planets and moons.
- Display paths of solar system bodies against the stars.
- Display ecliptic, celestial equator, meridian, and equatorial and azimuthal grids.
- Show the entire celestial sphere with ONE piece of equipment.
- Experience atmospheric effects, such as sunsets or a blue sky (or turn off the atmosphere to view the stars during the day).
- Zoom in on or label items of interest.
- View astrophotos of more than 100 deep space objects in situ.
- Show constellation outlines, names, and artwork one at a time, a few at a time, or all at once.
- Show constellations from multiple cultures (Western, Polynesian, Chinese, Navajo, ancient Egyptian, Lakota, Inuit, Inca, and more).
- Label the sky in approximately 70 different languages.
- Easily project your own image or video content using a USB drive or the internal hard drive.
- Use the video-in port to project other applications from a separate computer, if desired.
- Play fulldome video shows with 5.1 channel surround sound support.
- Use the powerful scripting feature to create your own shows, short segments, or special effects.
- Easy, automated software upgrades over the Internet keep you up to date with the latest features. Software updates are included free for the life of the system.
- One projector does it all. No need for constellation projectors, slide projectors, multiple cylinders, etc.
- Remote control with backlit buttons works from anywhere in the dome. No need to hover over the projector and block your audience's view.
Quick and Easy
- Our unique backlit handheld remote control is the easiest interface to learn and use. No separate computer or extensive training is required.
- Plug it in, turn it on, and you're ready to project in about one minute.
- Start up to your default settings for latitude, longitude, sky time, and more.
- Automatic positioning and phasing of celestial objects.
- It's so straightforward, you don't need to be an astronomer to run it!
- Low maintenance.
- No laptops to overheat or break
- Three year limited warranty on all components except the DLP projection component, which is warranted through the original manufacturer (see specific models for details).
- Countdown of projector bulb life helps avoid the surprise of a burned out bulb.
- Modern fixed planetarium features at a fraction of the typical cost.
- Opportunity to generate extra revenue introducing the Digitarium to other interested organizations through our Customer Referral Program.
|Maximum Dome Diameter||Approximately 40 feet/12 meters. Brightness is the main issue, since the larger the dome, the larger the surface area the light from the projector must cover.|
|Resolution||1200 pixels across a diameter|
|Field of view||180 degrees, full sky.|
|Pixels per degree of sky||6.7 average|
|Angle of Projection||175 degrees|
|Base Projector Brightness||4000 Lumens with non-fisheye lens (Provided for comparison purposes with other systems. Actual brightness with a fisheye lens is significantly less due to not projecting the whole video rectangle and differing lens properties. Please contact us if you may be interested in a brighter system.)|
|Contrast Ratio||Nominal projector contrast is 2000:1.|
|Lamp life||Up to 2000 hours on high lamp setting.|
|Control Unit||Standard: Digitarium CU-1|
Basic: Digitarium CU-S
|Audio Output||Standard: 5.1 surround sound with external user supplied speakers.|
Basic: Stereo with integral speakers; stereo with external user supplied speakers.
|Free upgrade toNightshade NG||Standard: Nightshade NG Professional|
Basic: Nightshade NG Basic (limited to solar system)
|Power||North America: 120VAC, 50/60Hz, 615 Watts|
Elsewhere: Contact your local distributor.
|Regulatory||FCC Class A, CE class A (RoHS compliant)|
|Projector features||Direct power off (fan properly cools down lamp even if the power is cut off), sealed optical block, shutter, LAN control and reporting|
|Dimensions||System: 16 x 16 x 25 inches for storage (40 x 40 x 63.5 cm),|
16 x 16 x 35 inches for use (40 x 40 x 89 cm)
Transit case: 19 x 21 x 31 inches (47.5 x 52.5 x 77.5 cm)
|Weight||System: 61 lbs. (27.7 kg)|
Transit case: 34 lbs. (15.5 kg)
Total: 95 lbs. (43.2 kg)
The transit case has built in wheels and extendable handle for easy transport on flat surfaces.
The Basic version weighs 10 pounds less.
User adjustable focus and centering
Most interaction with the projector is with a hand-held remote control, much like a TV remote. The primary remote is backlit for use in a dark dome, and buttons are labeled with icons. This remote controls all aspects of the sky, your settings, and multi-media display.
No keyboard, mouse, monitor, or laptop is required. Using a remote control, all commands are at your fingertips anywhere in the dome.
You can also use our Universal Console™ software for elegant system control from multiple computing devices, including the Apple iPad®. The Universal Console software is included with all fixed dome purchases and is available as an optional add on for portable systems.
Over 11.5 million (Nomad catalog)
1 TB (1000 GB). Used to store images, videos, data sets, and scripts on the system for your convenience. TheDigitarium CU-1 control unit currently supports an additional 3 TB for add on data sets.
The planetarium software used is Nightshade, maintained by Digitalis. Please download a version if you are curious.
Our Digitarium software platform allows very flexible image and video display. Place media on the dome where you want it in real time and even mirror it for better audience visibility. All distortion correction is done on the fly so you can easily show regular "rectangular" media on the dome. And of course, playing fulldome videos is a breeze.
Underlying everything is the open source Linux operating system, although this is completely hidden from you. Source code for all open source software used in the system is available to our customers.
Also included is a 1 TB USB drive with images and videos which complement our free lesson plans.
For increased flexibility you can project your own video or images. Simply copy your files to a USB drive and plug it into the system. You can also copy files to the large internal drive. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 are our best supported video formats, although other codecs may work. Most image formats are supported.
This feature opens up your dome to any topic you might want to explore, even other subject areas besides astronomy. Free videos and images on countless topics are available on many websites, and you can also purchase third party pre-recorded planetarium shows.
Systems using the Digitarium CU-1 control unit output audio (for video soundtracks) through three audio jacks for full 5.1 channel surround sound (when your video file supports this). You supply a speaker system of your choice. For fixed systems, we can offer professional audio systems through Bowen Technovation.
Portable systems using the smaller Digitarium CU-S control unit support stereo output.
A video-in port allows you to project from a separate computer should you need to. This gives you complete projection control if you have special requirements.